It is sometimes hard to recognize the difference between legitimate prescription use and dangerous habit-forming behaviors. Using common sense and being alert to patterns of neglect, disengagement from routine responsibilities and an inability to accept simple suggestions are behaviors that warrant careful attention.
Other signs of prescription drug abuse include:
- Finding prescription medications that belong to others.
- Routinely running out of prescriptions early.
- Frequent instances of losing or misplacing medications.
- Frequent trips to the ER for pain medications instead of making and keeping regular appointments with a doctor.
- Prescriptions at multiple pharmacies.
- Apathy or agitation, lack of engagement, lethargy, hyperactivity.
- Lack of ability to make and keep commitments.